We're about one week into February 2012 and I've already got 2 great reviews up here for your consideration--Pizaro's Pizza on Memorial/Kirkwood and Latin Bites Café on Woodway. I've got a couple of other places I'm hoping to visit this month and will provide reviews and photos for your consideration. In the meantime, a few items I want to share with you along the way.
1. I hope all of my fellow foodies took the opportunity to donate to the Souper Bowl of Caring this past week. Hunger knows no season and we need to keep on sharing with those in need. I donated a bag at Kroger last week. It's amazing how far $10.00 to $20.00 can go on staple items. This organization is one of the better non-profits out there and given how much we chow down on Super Bowl Sunday, we need to share the wealth.
2. One of my favourite fellow Foodbloggers, Mijune Pak, posted some more funny stuff: 10 Characteristics of a Hipster Restaurant. Based on some of these items (i.e. no signs, random off the beaten track location, no posted hours) there are more than a few places on Washington Avenue or the speakeasy hidden bar called Marfreless here in Houston that qualify! In any event, as an Economics Professor, I can tell you that some of those attributes are not exactly conducive to a restaurant remaining profitable in the long run. Just saying....
BB's Beef and Hot Dog!!! Per a handwritten sign at the original location in Stafford, it's being re-established as a Food Trailer on the corner of Highway 6 and Bissonnnet today (Feb. 6, 2012). I for one am relieved as this was the Genuine Chicago Style Dog that won the 2011 Houston Press "Best Hot Dog" Award. I won't be able to get out that way until later this week. So if any of you readers can get out that way and verify this, please post it in the comments.
4. Speaking of Hot Dogs, Happy Endings, a Vietnamese/Chinese/Filipino Hot Dog Fusion truck (reminds me a bit of Japadog in Vancouver) is reviewed by Katharine Shilcutt of the Houston Press. I think I'll be chasing down a Happy Ending Hot Dog this Friday!!!! (Get your minds out of the gutter, pervs! I mean the food!!!)
5. Valentine's Day is coming up... get ready for the price of Roses and various dinners out to Octouple!!! I know it's supply and demand, but it's also highway robbery. Again, just saying...
6. Shit Foodie's Say--Hank On Food's Take--is still in the works. I'll have it put together soon.
Well, that's it for now. Thanks for all of your readership recently--especially on the Uchi Houston Grand Opening, which is now my #1 most read post. If you haven't visited Uchi Houston yet, It's a hot ticket. And hey, take your special someone there for Valentine's Day!!! Or take them to Happy Endings... either way, It'll be yummy!!!
Zao an, Y'all!!!