1. Eating our Words in The Houston Press is doing a Burger Bracket to Coincide with March Madness, but it will be run on Monday, April 2nd. Unfortunately, I missed Katharine Shilcutt's call for judges. And that's too bad for me. Truth to tell, I didn't see Ms. Shilcutt's call for judges due to being very busy in my day job teaching Economics at three different institutions of higher learning. And that's okay. This is actually the 2nd Annual Burger Bracket the Houston Press is doing. The first one was done on April 4, 2011--about a month before this blog started. Maybe this Foodie Professor is a bit absent minded after all. Given how much I love a good burger and how often I rate them and review them in this here blog, I will make plans to be a spectator at this year's burger bracket. Or maybe I will just hit any of the places in the bracket I haven't tried yet. For me that would be Mockingbird Bistro, Down House, Plonk, Block 7, J-Town Streats, El Realand Bernie's Burger Bus.Yeah... THAT'S THE TICKET!!! More to come on this.
|Hubcap Grill Owner Ricky Craig|
|Hubcap Grill Bacon Cheeseburger|
For more on why Yelp is bad for restaurants and foodbloggers alike, and why it should be held accountable for its actions, please read this post from @GunsAndTacos of The Houston Freepress.
My official take:
- I urge all my readers and fellow Houston Foodbloggers to go to the #YuckFelp party at Hubcap Grill on 19th Street at Noon Today (March 4, 2012) to support Ricky Craig and other local restaurateurs.
- I urge all my fellow foodbloggers anywhere to boycott Yelp, not post reviews on them and not give them any promotion or support.
- I urge all local restaurateurs and chains to boycott yelp, take down any promotional stickers they have given you and not sanction them.
I'll do a follow up blog on the event provided I make it today.
4. As someone who has connections in Louisville, Kentucky and Southern Indiana, I urge all of you not directly affected by the recent Tornadoes to please donate blood to the Red Cross and donate gently used clothes or other sundry items to the Salvation Army, Goodwill or other charitable organizations that are rendering aid in the areas affected by these crazy storms that hit this past Friday. Here is how to help.
Well that's it for my odds and ends now. I hope March is wonderful for all of you readers.
Zao an, Y'all!!!